Take Your Best Shot!
Hit the hardwoods with the folks who invented the game - the Y! Basketball was invented in 1891. While teaching at the International YMCA Training School, James Naismith was given the challenge of creating a game that could be played indoors during the cold winter months. Hanging simple peach baskets and using a soccer ball, Naismith created the game of basketball and wrote the first 13 rules of the game. Y youth sports encourage and promote healthy kids, families and communities by placing a priority on family involvement, healthy competition rather than rivalry, the value of participation over winning, team-building as well as individual development, a positive self-image and a sense of fair play and mutual respect for others. Parents are encouraged to be more than mere spectators, by contributing their time as volunteer coaches - as well as being their kid's greatest fan.
Basketball is offered at our Hamilton, Downtown, North River, Cleveland and North GA branches (Note: offerings differ by branch). Learn more by clicking on the branch of your choice.
Hamilton Youth Basketball
The Hamilton YMCA Youth Basketball League runs for approximately 10 weeks with practices beginning in December each year. The recreational league is open to all boys and girls ages 3 – 16. Age divisions are broken into 3 – 4, 5 – 6, 7 – 8, 9 – 10, 11 – 12, and 13 – 16; there will be separate girls divisions where numbers permit. The competitive league is open to boys ages 9-10 and 11-12. In order to participate in the competitive league, participants must be a member of a team prior to registration.
Games are played using TSSAA game rules with age appropriate YMCA rule modifications. All teams will play a guaranteed 7 game schedule. In the 9 – 10 and older divisions, teams will be guaranteed at least one game in a single elimination tournament. All games will be played on Saturdays at the YMCA and local school gyms.
- Registration is Oct. 1- Dec. 2
- $65 for members; $90 for non-members
2017-18 Season Key Dates:
North River Youth Basketball
Summer Youth Basketball Boys & Girls (Skill Development League)
Boys & Girls ages 4 - 15
Registration begins in May. Season - June 2 - July 7
All skill levels are welcome. Numbers permitting, the age divisions will be: 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-15. Age divisions will be co-ed; participants 10 and up will be directed into either the boys or girls league if numbers of participants allow for this. The focus of this 6 week program is to work on developing the childs knowledge and skills of basketball. The program will consist of 6 Saturdays of hour and half each with main focus on practice and drills with a secondary focus of scrimmages.
Cost: $65 Members/$85 Non-Members
Winter Youth Basketball Boys and Girls (Ages 2-15)
Registration begins October 2018
$15 Late Fees after deadline
The Healthy Living Center at North River Youth Basketball program is designed to meet each player at their current level of play and provide opportunities to increase their individual skills.Pratices will be held for one hour once a week for ages 7 and up. Games for all ages will be played on Saturday. Players will recieve a jersey with registration. Teams will be divided by age (and gender if numbers allow). The goal is that these opportunities lead to an overall enjoyment of the game for years to come. Players learn sportsmanship, how to work as a team, and also build quality relationships with players and coaches in the program.
Cleveland Youth Basketball
Learn the fundamentals of basketball in a healthy and positive environment. K-8th graders will develop their skills practice, character development and team work with practices once a week and games on Saturdays.
- Games begin Dec. 1 - Feb. 9
- There will be no games or practices Dec. 21-Jan. 6 due to Winter Break.
- Cost for K-8th Grade: $55 for Y members; $75 for non-members
- Cost for HS: $65 for Y members; $85 for non-members
- Mandatory player evaluations will be held:
- K - Oct. 29 from 5-6 p.m.
- 1st - Oct. 29 from 6-7 p.m.
- 2nd & 3rd- Oct. 30 from 5-7 p.m.
- 4th-5th - Nov. 1 from 5-6 p.m.
- 6th-8th - Nov. 1 from 6-7 p.m.
- HS - Nov. 2 from 5-7 p.m.
- Players must attend one evaluation session in order to be placed on a team.
- Practices begin Nov. 12. No practices will be held Nov. 19-23 due to Thanksgiving.
Please contact Rebekah Devine to volunteer as coach.
Please see our division rules:
- Open to girls and boys ages 3-5. Participants must be in Pre-K, not Kindergarten.
- 2018 Season begins March 3-April 14. See Preschool Basketball Schedule and Rules.
- Registration opens Jan. 1-Feb. 24.
- Practices are 30 minutes prior to games, all on Saturdays
- Member fee $50/Non-member fee $70
Basic skill development in a low-competition environment (no score is kept)
Parent volunteers serve as coaches* Our program works only with the help of parents willing to lead their youth.
North GA Community YMCA Youth Basketball
Downtown Youth Basketball
Basketball Programs for Ages 3-6
- An instructional program that teaches basketball skills, rules and provisions.
- Winter 2018/2019 Season runs Dec. 15- Feb. 23
- Boys & girls ages 3-6
- Boys & Girls Ages 3-4 - Players have 30 minutes of practice and 30 minutes of game time each week.
- Boys & Girls Ages 5-6 - Players have one-hour of practice and one-hour games each week.
- Cost is $65 for YMCA members; $90 for non-members (price includes jersey, instruction, games and participation award)
Register at the Downtown Family YMCA. For more information, contact Nicole Brogden.